Jerry Lockspeiser is a wine-industry expert, entrepreneur, author and business consultant. His first company, Vinceremos Wines, pioneered the importation of organic and Third World wines and spirits into the UK. His second, Bottle Green Ltd, sourced, made and branded wines from around the world, becoming a major supplier to the high street multiple sector. It was sold in 2004. He is chairman of Off Piste Wines, consultant to a wine company in Chile and co-owner of a small UK based software company. In 2007 he created the ‘Call My Wine Bluff’ fundraising event in support of ActionAid’s work in the developing world which has raised over £600,000. In 2010 he launched the Millione wine brand, a social business whose profits fund the building of primary schools in Sierra Leone. Four schools have been built to date. He is a fellow of the RSA, marathon runner and RAC qualified motor cycle instructor.
The first thing you see at the winery is a sign saying “HIPPIES USE BACK DOOR- NO EXCEPTIONS”. In the barrel room oak vats are identified by the names of rock bands - the Clash, Joy Division, Pulp and Portishead amongst them - or images of molecular structures. Outside the back door a large pile of straw bales wait to be wrapped around modern stainless steel vats, nature’s insulation to keep her product cool.
Mike Veseth is a specialist in globalisation who blogs as The Wine Economist. He is also professor emeritus of International Political Economy at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma near Seattle. After reviewing his books Wine Wars and Extreme Wine for H
A decade ago I was at a business review meeting with Mark Murphy, Tesco’s then head of beers wines and spirits, discussing how to persuade consumers to ‘trade up’, or as they would put it, buy higher priced wines.
- Book review: Jerry Lockspeiser on DO PURPOSE: Why brands with a purpose do better and matter more
- Jerry Lockspeiser is enthralled by the wine business insights of Mike Veseth
- Jerry Lockspeiser: Call My Wine Bluff proves people just want to have fun with wine!
- Jerry Lockspeiser: do wine buyers get the suppliers they deserve?Subscription
- Jerry Lockspeiser: when it comes to liking wine preconceptions are everything
- Jerry Lockspeiser on why wine is for drinking and not for a health or fitness regime
- Two Good, 2 Bad fo 2013, Hopes and Fears for 2014: Jerry Lockspeiser, Off Piste Wines