Jerry Lockspeiser is a wine-industry expert, entrepreneur, author and business consultant. His first company, Vinceremos Wines, pioneered the importation of organic and Third World wines and spirits into the UK. His second, Bottle Green Ltd, sourced, made and branded wines from around the world, becoming a major supplier to the high street multiple sector. It was sold in 2004. He is chairman of Off Piste Wines, consultant to a wine company in Chile and co-owner of a small UK based software company. In 2007 he created the ‘Call My Wine Bluff’ fundraising event in support of ActionAid’s work in the developing world which has raised over £600,000. In 2010 he launched the Millione wine brand, a social business whose profits fund the building of primary schools in Sierra Leone. Four schools have been built to date. He is a fellow of the RSA, marathon runner and RAC qualified motor cycle instructor.
Many years ago I was trying to sell Argentinean wine to the Co-op. We had a delicious, modern style Torrontes that had been custom made for the UK market but I just could not persuade the buyer, of its merits. He tasted it several times always with the same result: he said he didn’t like Torrontes.
Negative reports about alcohol are as frequent as Manchester City goals. So it would be nice to believe the studies suggesting that the legalised drug we peddle is infact good for health.
Settle in to Boxing Day in the capable hands of Jerry Lockspeiser of Off Piste Wines as he looks back on his good and bad memories of 2013 and his hopes and fears for 2014.
- Jerry Lockspeiser: why we need to price wines on enjoyment not what they cost
- Jerry Lockspeiser on why we should not turn our backs on sweet wine drinkers
- Jerry Lockspeiser stands up for the WSTA: a great British success
- Jerry Lockspeiser: let's show consumers the true cost of a bottle of wine
- Jerry Lockspeiser: No Sex Please - We're British!
- Jerry Lockspeiser: why we have all got to work harder with our wine labels
- Jerry Lockspeiser: Minimum pricing, maximum cost