- Published on Friday, 18 January 2013 10:22
- Written by Elinor Zuke
Its Don Maxiamo Founder's Reserve 2010, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Syrah, Carmenère and Cabernet Franc, picked up a Best in the Show trophy following a three-day blinding tasting of over 600 wines in Santiago.
The same wine was also named best super premium red wine, a new trophy to this year's competition.
Eighteen trophies were awarded in total by the panel of Asian and Chilean judges.
The best super premium white wine was awarded to the Casa Marín Cipreses Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2011.
Two wines were awarded the best value trophies: Oveja Negra Cabernet Franc-Carmenere 2011 for best value red, and Santa Carolina Reserva Moscato 2012 for best value white.
Colchagua Valley based winery Cono Sur struck gold three times as it took away the best Pinot Noir medal for its 20 Barrels 2010, and in an unlikely turn of events won two trophies for the best Syrah after its 20 Barrels Syrah 2010 and Single Vineyard Syrah 2011 produced a tie in the blind tasting.
This year saw a record 615 entries and the highest number of medals in the awards' ten year history - 10% received gold medals, 28% silver and 41% receiving bronze.
"The calibre was of a significantly higher quality this year," said Mario Pablo Silva, vice president of Vinos de Chile. "Chile's message of diversity is an accurate description of what this country has to offer."
The judges panel of wine experts from Japan, China, Korea and Chile was selected to reflect the importance of Asia as one of Chile's most important and growing consumer wine markets.
Here is the full list of trophy winners:
- Best Red Blend - Sideral 2009, Viña Altaïr
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon - Arboleda 2010, Viña Arboleda
- Best Carmenere - Marchigue Private Collection 2011, Viñedos Marchigue
- Best Chardonnay - Aconcagua Costa 2011, Viña Errazuriz
- Best Late Harvest - Erasmo 2008, Viña la Reserva de Caliboro
- Best Pinot Noir - 20 Barrels 2010, Viña Cono Sur
- Best Sauvignon Blanc - Outer Limits 2011, Viña Montes.
- Best Syrah - joint winners - Single Vineyard 2011, Viña Cono Sur and 20 Barrels 2010, Viña Cono Sur
- Best ‘Other' Red - Vigno Garcia Schwaderer 2009, Garcia & Schwaderer
- Best ‘Other' White - Santa Carolina Reserva Moscato 2012, Viña Santa Carolina
- Best Rosé - Litoral Rosé of Pinot Noir 2012, Viña Ventolera
- Best Sparkling - Santa Digna Estelado 2012, Miguel Torres Chile
- Best Premium Red - Don Maximiano Founder's Reserve 2010, Viña Errazuriz
- Best Premium White - Cipreses Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Viña Casa Marín
- Best Value Red - Oveja Negra Cabernet Franc-Carmenere 2011, VIA Wines
- Best Value White - Santa Carolina Reserva Moscato 2012, Santa Carolina
- Best in the Show - Don Maximiano Founder's Reserve 2010, Viña Errazuriz