The week that was: top news, Q&As and opinion on Harpers.co.uk
In case you missed some of the headlines this week on harpers.co.uk, we have put together a review of the top online news, Q&As, and opinion stories.
Most Read: This week we said goodbye to a beloved member of the trade. Tributes poured to us here at Harpers for Treasury Wine Estates’ Dan Townsend, remembering his 30 years contribution to the industry as both a friend and colleague.
Following the sudden passing, TWE appointed Tom King as new European MD, who will now take on the senior leadership role.
There was also a focus on combatting alcohol related harm this week, following an invitation from the European Commission for the trade to put on a united front to promote health and nutrition.
- TWE MD Dan Townsend has passed away
- Berkmann ballot puts Portugal on top
- Treasury Wine Estates has appointed Tom King as its new European MD
- Think Gin 2017 Awards: Winners announced
- New appointments at Louis Latour
- Pernod rolls out standardised nutritional info across its major brands
- Sherry president outlines opportunities for growth
- Industry bodies welcome the European Commission’s nutritional labelling ‘invite’
Embassies and English wine evangelists: A bill proposed to parliament this week could mean that British diplomats abroad could be required to serve UK-made products to their foreign counterparts.
More on that and how producers might keep up with demand below.
- English wine export predicted to grow tenfold in five years
- MPs back bill to promote “best of British” by requiring UK diplomats to serve UK-produced wine overseas
Analysis and insights: Our new News and Web Editor Lisa Riley looked at how the Whisky Action Fund and initiatives like it can help the trade deal with issues of responsibility.
We also looked ahead to ProWein which kicks off this Sunday in Düsseldorf.
People and Opinion: WSTA chief exec Miles Beale dissected last week’s budget and what it means for the trade.
Columnist Jerry Lockspeiser asked how effective wine marketing really is.